Thursday, January 23, 2014

Vanilla & Sour Cherry Cake {gluten & lactose free}





I was in the mood for baking on the weekend so I decided to make this Vanilla & Sour Cherry Cake to take to my Mum and Dad's for afternoon tea. The recipe I had wasn't gluten and lactose free so I made a few substitutions and hoped for the best. I haven't had much luck converting regular cake recipes to gluten free in the past so I was delighted when this one worked out. It's really delicious, not too sweet and the perfect accompaniment to your afternoon cup of tea. The cherries could also be easily substituted for raspberries, blueberries, peaches etc. depending on what you have available in your pantry.

Ingredients:

125g nuttelex spread
1/2 cup caster sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups gluten free S.R flour, sifted (I use orgran)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup lactose free milk (such as Zymil) or soy milk
1 cup morello sour cherries, pitted and drained
Icing sugar, to serve
Greek yoghurt, to serve (omit if you can't eat dairy)
 
Method:

1. Preheat oven to 180c. Grease and line a 20 x 20cm slice tray with baking paper.
2. Place nuttelex, sugar and vanilla in a bowl and beat, using an electric mixer, for 5 minutes or until the mixture becomes light and fluffy.
3. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
4. Stir in half of the flour and baking powder with half of the milk. Add the remaining flour, baking powder and milk. Stir until well combined.
4. Spread mixture into prepared tray and scatter cherries on top. Bake for 30-40 minutes, until slightly golden and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
5. Once cool, dust with icing sugar and cut into squares. Serve with a dollop of greek yoghurt.

Have you made anything yummy lately? I'm always looking for new recipes/ideas to try so feel free to share.

Happy days to you!

Melinda x

10 comments:

  1. This looks really delicious! I'm going to give it a go- one of my sons doesn't do wheat or dairy & loves a bit of cake so this sounds perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leanne, I hope he likes it. It was really quick and easy to make too which is always a bonus. Happy Friday! Melinda x

      Delete
  2. This looks delicious, and I always love a cake that is cooked in a roasting dish. I'm a new follower, happy to have stumbled upon your beautiful blog. Elaina xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words Elaina. So happy to have you as a new follower. I will pop over now and check out your blog. Happy Friday. Melinda x

      Delete
  3. The cake looks delicious Melinda. I'm adding to my list of lunchbox ideas for our children

    Here's a scrumptious recipe shared by Katia at Plushka's Craft (on fb) http://thesimpleveganista.blogspot.com.au/2013/11/cranberry-walnut-chickpea-salad-sandwich.html

    Have a beautiful day, Julia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This looks great Julia! So different from anything I've seen before. Thank you for sharing. Melinda :)

      Delete
    2. You're welcome Melinda. Have a lovely weekend, Julia

      Delete
  4. This looks so yummy!!! I'm def going to have to try this!! Sarah xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yummy. I haven't tried baking with morello cherries before.
    Yesterday I made some dried fruit and oats biscuits. I was trying to use up some nearly finished packets of dried fruit from the pantry and they turned out beautifully. There was chopped dates, dried apricots, cashews, rolled oats, cereal flakes, mixed with 2 eggs, coconut oil and honey.
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always have a jar of morello cherries in the pantry. I use them quite often. My other favourite thing to do with them is make an apple & cherry crumble.
      Your biscuits sound really good Zara. Lots of my favourite ingredients in them. I'm interested to try cooking with coconut oil. I've heard alot about it lately. Thanks for sharing. Melinda x

      Delete

Thank-you for leaving a lovely comment! You just made my day x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...