Thursday, December 12, 2013
Roasted Pistachio & Cranberry Christmas Bark
This would have to be one of the quickest and easiest festive treats to make. I make it every year and keep it in the fridge for any last minute gift giving. It's super yummy and very easy to adapt to different peoples' tastes.
400g milk chocolate melts
100g white chocolate melts
85g pistachios, unsalted, shelled and roasted
85g dried cranberries
1. Preheat the oven to 180c and line a rectangular baking tray with baking paper.
2. Place the pistachios into a zip lock bag and use a heavy wooden rolling pin to break them into small chunks. Place the pistachios onto an unlined baking tray and roast in the oven for 3-4 minutes. They will burn quickly so make sure you watch them carefully as oven temperatures and times may vary.
3. Place the milk chocolate melts into a ceramic bowl and microwave on high for 1 minute. Remove from the microwave and stir. Microwave for a further 40 seconds and then remove and stir until all of the chocolate has melted.
4. Place the white chocolate melts into a ceramic bowl and microwave on high for 40 seconds. Remove from microwave and stir. Microwave for a further 30 seconds and then remove and stir until all of the chocolate has melted.
5. Pour the milk chocolate onto the tray lined with baking paper. Use a palette knife to spread the chocolate out until it is approximately 4mm thick. Pour the white chocolate over the milk chocolate in a pattern of your choice. I poured it in rows and then used a cake skewer to create a pattern.
6. Sprinkle the pistachios and cranberries evenly over the top of the chocolate.
7. Place in the refrigerator to set. Once set, break into pieces.
Like I mentioned earlier this recipe is really easy to adapt to different peoples' tastes. I made a few different variations. I sprinkled one with crushed honeycomb (this one is perfect for Christmas as it looks like gold dust) and I sprinkled the other with crushed oreo biscuits. You can basically use whatever you like on top: almonds, sultanas, toasted coconut, smarties, mini marshmallows, the possibilities are endless.
I hope all of your festive preparations are coming along nicely. Have you been baking any special treats? I'd love to know. Feel free to leave me a comment if you've shared a yummy festive recipe on your blog too.
Happy days to you!